11.24.2007

Swearing in and heading to Site

Wednesday, November 21, 2007: I, and the other volunteers in my training group, swore in and became “real volunteers.” I am now Kira Park, PCV. It’s hard to believe that we have been here 10 weeks, nearly a quarter of a year, and we are now, just, officially volunteers in Peace Corps.

Thursday, November 22, 2007: My first Thanksgiving away from home, family and friends went great. I didn’t really have any expectations, and I had heard the PCV-organized event was a fun time, so I wasn’t too concerned. The food was great, and there were sports tournaments in the morning, turkey and all the fixins for lunch, and entertainment (a dance contest, a talent show and a dating game) in the afternoon. All in all, a good time. We got to meet other volunteers, which was excellent, and I finally met Robyn, the volunteer who I had been emailing with before heading down.

Friday, November 23, 2007: My first All-Volunteer conference in Peace Corps. This is an annual meeting/workshop that everyone comes to in the capital. It was surprisingly interesting and worthwhile. Usually stuff like that seems not particularly relevant or applicable, but this was really good. Also, it was another chance to get to know other volunteers.

The phone situation:
My original phone number (1-809-467-5202) doesn’t work in my site, but I’m keeping the phone so I can take advantage of the PC network when I’m out of my site, so keep that number as a backup. My main phone number is a little confusing, though. We went to the store last night to get it sorted out, and they gave me my phone number, but then they gave me a different number and said they changed it. When I got home and charged the phone to check it out, the phone number that makes my phone ring is the original number I was given, not the number they told me was mine in the end. So, here are both for now until I figure out what’s going on. If one doesn’t work, just call the other. Also, text messaging doesn’t appear to be working still, and voicemail may or may not be, I’m not sure. How Peace Corps of me, right? Haha.
The number that, I think, makes my phone ring: 1-809-708-6839
The number they told me was the number, but doesn’t appear to make my phone ring: 1-809-708-6847

So, that’s that for now.

And now, after I finish this, I will be packing up the last of my stuff and preparing to head to my site, this time for real. I am a myriad of emotions about this, and today is one of the few times so far in the PC experience that I have felt genuinely physically nervous. This is for real. It’s not training, it’s not a visit.

I feel excited yet scared. Everything is possible, which is amazing and overwhelming. I have a lot to offer, but a lot more to learn. The support, encouragement and enthusiasm I have had behind me from everyone at home has and will continue to help me remember that this is the most amazing thing I could be doing right now. It’s right for me to be here.

I know that I need to be patient with myself – in getting to know my community, and its members; in learning Spanish and living with a host family; in learning my organization and how I can help them; in becoming independent in my own site and building a life for myself there that is fulfilling, rewarding and productive. I know that I need to overcome my fears and put myself out there; be the one who says “Hello” first and looks for ways I can become a part of these people’s lives. I know I can do it. (But make sure to remind me!)

Thank you again for all the packages (most of which have yet to arrive), emails, phone calls and thoughts of support. I miss you, but I’m so happy I’m here. I can’t wait until I feel settled though!!! Looking forward to hearing from you soon.

Kira

2 comments:

Leah said...

Hello my dear!! Sounds like the ball is rolling, how great! You will do great, I promise! The Spanish speaking will come with time, but you'll get the hang of things. I miss you so much! I will try and get a calling card soon so i can call one of those numbers...haha. Love you!

clara the brit said...

good luck, darling, with the site work! you are amazing and will settle into everything soon. just remember in times of challenge how lucky you are to feel so alive. xo, c