9.26.2007

A bit of a rough day

Nothing really happened today, but it was slightly excruciating. I thought I was on a role avoiding the mosquitoes yesterday and the first half of today, but then I got absolutely eaten alive this afternoon and evening. I think I got seven or something new bites in this one afternoon. What a bummer.

Also, it was bloody hot today. Today was the first day since I’ve been here that I actually thought I might overheat and spontaneously combust. It was so uncomfortable.

The day got off to an excellent start… I finally got to sit and stare at the wall for an hour while drinking my morning coffee in perfect quietude, eating breakfast at my leisure and taking my time. It started going downhill as it got hotter and hotter and hotter, and then really annoyed me when the mosquitoes decided I was lunch, dinner and dessert.

Tomorrow for training we have to go into Santo Domingo for a guided tour of the Colonial Zone, and I’m a little worried because I’m not sure how to get there by myself, and I haven’t heard from the people I thought I was going to head down there with. Hopefully we manage to get in touch with each other in the morning, or else I’ll just have to leave plenty early to get down there and get it figured out in time. Good thing I didn’t sign up for the 9 am trip, huh?

Anyway, as I’ve been saying, things are going well here. I just needed to bitch and moan a little today. I tried to explain to my Dona that while I’m doing ok at communicating the necessities and asking questions and stuff, I really can’t express myself yet and I don’t have enough Spanish to vent yet.

Someone has been trying to call me at my host family’s house, but the only messages I’ve gotten was that the gringos are calling. I’m going to try and work out a better solution for coordinating so I can talk to someone at least before I head into the interior in about a week and a half/two weeks. Probably I’ll go buy a few minutes of a phone card so I can call and say “call me back” and then we can chat for a few.

Ok, bedtime. I’m pooped from my boring day.


PS. Can someone pretty please send me some books to read? I finished the book I brought already and am having trouble locating English language novels here… go figure. Thanks a bunch! The address is on the right.

No comments: