2.02.2008

Pigs and Publisher and Goats, Oh My

Oh, it’s been an interesting couple of days in a pretty funny Peace Corps kind of way.

To all my current and future fellow lovers of publication design and the Adobe Creative Suite, I must confess. I used Microsoft Publisher. No, it’s worse. I installed it on my computer. I feel horrible about it, but, aside from the fact that it’s not available here (literally or cost-wise), inDesign just isn’t sustainable in the Peace Corps. Oh man, could you imagine trying to teach people who don’t know how to set a margin in Word about all the beautiful complexities of graphic design software. I used it for my official Peace Corps business card, but I’m also about to get roped into to building a brochure for Fundelosa about the chocolate factory they are getting ready to launch.

Friday, I woke up and sat outside drinking my morning café con leche. Sitting there, I noticed there were six or so goats hanging around the house, and I thought to myself Hey, I wonder why there are so many chivos hanging out today. And then it left my mind and I went to the office to install (as previously confessed) Publisher on my computer and the desktop at the office. When I came home for lunch, I figured out about those goats. Their skins were on the ground. Their heads on the cement table. Their bodies chopped up into five-gallon buckets. Two hundred fifty pounds of chivo in all.

Saturday, I woke up to a ruckus (which is sadly normal here, but this was a special, extra-hurried ruckus) and discovered that the pregnant pig in the posigla out back had gone into labor and was dar-ing luz to an indeterminate number of puercitos. I really wanted to watch so I grabbed my camera and headed out to watch the action. All said and done, she delivered 11 piggies, but one died mid-term (they chucked it into the foliage with the placenta for the dogs…). I got some great pictures!

After that, at noon, we went to some crazy neighborhood block party and proceeded to eat the 250 pounds of previously slaughtered goat. And drink. And dance. And sit around for 7 hours listening and dancing to merengue and bachata. Rob came and visited for the day and then stayed the night in a neighbor’s extra bed. He got in on the goat and rum action as well, checked out the pigs and we ate fried chicken and tostadas (grilled ham and cheese sandwiches) for dinner.

Today was a long day (SUNDAY) of meetings at the office (SUNDAY, did I mention it’s SUNDAY?). We were there from 9-5. It was in Spanish. Meetings in Spanish are still generally indecipherable for me. I’m exhausted.

Oh, and I learned a new phrase today.

To fart is hacer peo. Hehhehhehehe.

No comments: