2.02.2008

Fat?

Twice so far today I’ve been told I’m bien gorda (pretty chubby) and it’s only noon. Apparently Dominicans stand by their practice that clothes only fit well if they are so tight you can see goosebumps through the fabric. I’m wearing a really cute cap-sleeve, empire waist peasant-y blouse thing Kyle sent me. I think I look cute, so they can keep their too-small spandex and we will all be happy. I understand that being called gorda here, if not a compliment per se these days, is not an insult, and I am not actually offended in the least. However, I do use these moments as an opportunity for cultural exchange and explain that Americans, especially women, are not flattered if you point out that they are chubby or have put on weight.

And anyways, I don’t even think I’ve gained weight. Last I checked at the end of November, I had lost 8 pounds since leaving the States. It’s possible that I gained a bit of it back (thanks to all the Starbursts and cookies I eat), but everything still fits, so whatever.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

yay! Glad you are wearing the shirt I sent...and that it fits!!!