8.03.2008

My First Dominican Car Accident

So I was coming back from Chery's site today (congratulations to her on the inauguration of her community and computer center) and our guagua was involved in a car accident on the highway. Two guaguas and one or two private vehicles rearended each other... I think we were last in line. I AM FINE. This was a hysterical Peace Corps Moment, not only because we were not the least bit distressed or hurt, but we saw it coming and STILL weren't worried because the gugaguas here always ALMOST crash but never do. Until today. I am not sore at all or anything, but if that changes I'll be sure to be a grown up and see the doctor. Anyway, so I was with someone who had a plane to catch so we took advantage of our rubia-ness and got ourselves on a different guagua that was going by, and made the trip, which should NEVER take less than 2 h 45 m, in 2.5 hours, including the lost time in the accident. They were FLYING. Incidentally, this was not the cause of the accident as when that happened we were going a much normal pace in traffic.

Anyways, if you read this and several previous entries, you'll notice that I've had some interesting things happen to me of late here in the DR. Thankfully nothing has been too serious!

2 comments:

Cheryl in the DR said...

Like I said, J-E-A-L-O-U-S...

You have sooo much good material for your GG COS interview. I only hope I'll be able to compete.

Ashleigh Shiffler said...

Hi, I'm a PCV in Guatemala and about to step in as the GLOW coordinator here. We are working on some revamping of GLOW in Guatemala and would like to know how GLOW committees in other countries involve HCNs. If you have any information on that or can put me in touch with the coordinator in the DR, I would really appreciate it! My email is ashleigh.shiffler@gmail.com . Hope everything is going well for you in the DR!